Thursday, February 4, 2010

So, I know that I haven't written on my blog for almost two weeks so I figured I would write a nice long blog post to update everyone as to what I've been up to for the last few weeks!

Classes started last week and I think I have finally finalized my class schedule. It's going to look something like:
Monday: Anthropology of France from 10h-13h
Writing class 15h-17h
Tuesday: Language, Culture, and Society 9h-12h
Wednesday: Morphology and Syntax 9h-12h
Mythology class 14h30-17h30
Thursday: Oral Expression class 17h15-19h15
Friday: No class

So, 16 hours of class each week. It's going to be a tough week but it means that I get to have most of my Thursday off and all of Friday. This morning I went to the market for the first time. It was so interesting and I'm so glad I finally got to go. I didn't buy anything too big because I figure it's open every single day! Even Sundays, which is a huge deal in this town considering nothing is open on Sundays.


Two weekends ago we ended up going to Avignon which is where there's the Palace of Popes which is the picture on the left. It was amazing to see. I've never in my life seen larger rooms! Although like one of my travel books says "the interior is strangely empty after the devastation wreaked during the Revolution, where it was used as a prison and barracks...". Yes, I am reading all of my travel books so thank you! I also used Rick Steves to do a walking tour which some people made fun of my for and other people thought was great. So thanks again for those books they really are coming in handy.
We also went to the Pont St-Benezet; which was honestly just a broken bridge that you walk to the end and then back to the beginning. Walk downstairs and then walk back upstairs. Honestly, not the most interesting sight to see...but it's better than nothing! Plus, we paid to see both the palace and the bridge so I figured we should go. Although, we did get lost trying to make our way from the palace to the bridge LUCKILY I have Rick to show us the way.

Other than that it seems like we are going to be going on a road trip through Italy. We will be going as much of Italy as possible. This is the trip itinerary so far and we will be trying to keep it as cheap as possible:

Friday February 13 - Aix-en-Provence --> Bassanoa
Saturday February 14 - Day trip to Cinque Terra
Sunday February 14 - Bassanoa --> Pisa --> Florence
Monday February 16 - Florence
Tuesday February 17 - Florence --> Rome
Wednesday February 18 - Rome
Thursday February 19 - Rome [Optional Tivoli daytrip]
Friday February 20 - Rome --> San Gimignano --> Albegna
Saturday February 21 - Albegna --> Aix-en-Provence

So, I will keep you updated on everything that's going on once we finalize our plans and where I go next. We have a trip to Antibe this weekend which will be fun because it's with the entire study abroad group.

Hope everything is going well at home!

4 comments:

  1. sounds really fun; I imagine you will LOVE Florence and Rome!!! Take lots of pictures, and watch out for all those cute Italian boys! Hey, I looked at your map of Aix, and there seems to be a slight problem....as in, *where are YOU?!* I had no idea what I was looking at. :-P What is Morphology class?? It sounds very sci fi-ish. Anthro will be cool; do you get to visit those prehistoric caves to see the rock art?
    Glad you are doing well! Miss you, but love to hear about your adventours! LOL Bon Soir!
    love,
    ~becbec

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh, don't know why it's calling me Mrs. Reber...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate is sounds like you are having an amazing time which is great!!! I'm with BecBec, Morphology sounds very sci-fi you will have to tell us about that class. Have a great time in Italy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Papal Palace? Sweet! I wannna get out there.

    ReplyDelete